Thursday 21 July 2011

Film Review - Avatar


Release: 2009
Director: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez


Another film that was massively hyped on its release that I ignored, plus this was the herald of 3D, which I had and still have zero interest in. I watched the extended Special Edition Bluray version, which was around 3 and a half hours long. To be honest I really enjoyed it.

Cameron created a rich, alien world with lore and history, and made me care about it. It was like somewhere between Dances With Wolves and Fern Gulley. This beautiful forest world is under threat by a greedy human mining company.

A film based entirely on special effects has absolutely no merit to me, which is why the Matrix sequels are a stain on the series. The visual effects in Avatar are stunning, and often breath-taking. I was surprised with how wrapped up I was in this visual feast, and also found myself caring for the plight of the natives.

I'm not sure what sequels could possibly offer (they're making it a trilogy apparently), but I really surprised myself with how enjoyable Avatar was. Impressively most of the technology was developed for the film, so Cameron had basically invented what he wanted in his head and then the technology grew around the idea. Cool beans.

I didn't expect to enjoy it, and you may too

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment